Certified Irish Angus Beef competition
In 2021, three of our Transition Year students entered the Irish Angus Beef competition & successfully progressed to stage three.
This exciting competition, which is run by the certified Irish Angus Beef Producer Group along with their partners ABP Ireland and Kepak Group, challenges students to rear five Irish Angus calves over 18 months while completing a research project. The initiative aims to promote the Certified Irish Angus brand while educating students about the care and attention required to produce quality beef for consumers.
Each group also benefits from the proceeds raised through the sale of the animals at the end of the competition. The overall winners also receive a bursary towards further education.
1. Present project ideas to an expert judging panel.
2. Attend Training Day – meet the calves & other finalists
3. Attend national ploughing championships and bring calves home
4. Go on trip to learn about marketing of beef.
5. Competition winners announced at showcase event.